Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous

Reviews

EdTheBeast posted a comment on Monday 7th January 2019 12:30pm

Not bad. But can't say good. Just interesting.

Kegan posted a comment on Thursday 26th September 2013 10:03pm

Man, people -really- hate Ron. I guess I just have a hard time holding that GoF "betrayal" against him, considering that he was a 14-year-old boy and the only thing he did was get offended because he thought his best friend was lying to him. I certainly didn't unconditionally believe everything my friends said when I was fourteen. And he immediately came back to the fold when the dangers of the tournament were shown. I mean, it's not like he cursed Harry in the back and joined the Death Eaters. And when he took off in DH, he was under the influence of rather powerful Dark object that was capitalizing on his insecurities, and he still would have came back immediately after he left except that he got caught and delayed. Considering that Ron has, for his entire life, been surrounded by people who are smarter, more accomplished, more famous, more powerful, more wealthy, and more popular, I'd be rather shocked if he didn't have some insecurities. And even setting the Ron issue aside, this whole fic really just seems like an excuse to indulge in pointless character bashing for everyone except Luna, Neville, and Harry.

Nytefyre posted a comment on Monday 9th September 2013 8:32am

Interesting alternate POV.

Thanks for posting.

brad posted a comment on Friday 6th September 2013 7:50pm

Nice start! This is the beginning of a multi-chaptered story, I hope?

It's funny ... an LJ fan just started an offer of 'drabbles' last week and I asked for one which showed how Harry & Hermione were celebrated in the future, how the wizarding world respected/revered them for their post-Voldemort achievements (my favourite version of H/Hr has them going on to achieve great things; her brains and progressive drive for equality, his fame and fanon riches. Either as minister. Neither the mediocre people we saw "19 years later"). You don't see much of that in the fanfics. Maybe you'll be addressing something along these same lines with this story; although, while set in the future, I guess the Hat might just stick to a retelling of the Voldemort years. I'll wait and see.

As someone who doesn't have any special feelings for Ron - he brought nothing special/unique to the Trio, Rowling had to dumb Hermione down to make her a romantic match for him, he 'betrayed' them twice, etc - I don't mind your Hat's description of him at all. :-) Most of what you have here is perfectly consistent with the canon. The least would be the 'ounce of loyalty'; Ron *was* loyal, it's just that his self-interest sometimes took precedence (unlike Hermione's, who *always* put Harry first, ahead of herself). And he did show 'intelligence' - mainly in the last book - but it was written so clumsily, Rowling suddenly realising she only had one final novel to improve the character, we readers tend to forget Ron's 'brilliant' (!) idea(s) of DH. Just one more bad thing in a literary catastrophe of a novel, that artificial augmentation of Ron.

I detest Ginny (within reason; she wasn't the most evil person in the galaxy; just a not very nice little girl). Loud cheers for your/the Hat's observation that she called Harry by his title "even ... in her own mind". Exactly. If you read the infamous 'breakup scene' at the end of HBP you can just SEE her 'acting' out the role she believes she's playing; part of her watching the other part playing the damsel left behind, etc. Maybe a person would eventually grow out of such fantasy playing, once married; but in the seven books proper she and Harry barely interacted, she was still firmly in the 'fangirl' rut.

If there's one rule of HP with which almost everyone agrees it's "everyone loves Luna". I do hope to have warm feelings in further chapters while reading of her 'fierce loyalty'. I always think it was so very sad that Harry, learning of her hazing at the end of OotP ... did absolutely nothing to improve her situation. :-( If the Hat tells us she was loyal to Harry ... I just hope he was deserving of it. The hero we hoped he'd be, in small things as well as large.

Nice to read something from you again, and I hope this is the forward to some more instalments! I enjoyed this. Cheers.

Crys replied:

unfortunately, no, this was a one-shot.   I forgot to set the "complete" flag before triggering the e-mails.

Yeah, I was a little harsh to Ron, I suppose.   But as you pointed out, JKR had to abruptly bring him up and Hermione down to get them to be an even vaguely reasonable match.   She pounded them back into the form she wanted rather than let the 5th and 6th year characters continue to progress as they had.

Thanks for reviewing, and sorry that there won't be more forthcoming on this story.

bgoldnyxnet posted a comment on Friday 6th September 2013 12:03pm

Heh! Fun read, and dead on.

lwj2 posted a comment on Thursday 5th September 2013 7:53am

Delightful, I'm looking forward to more of the Hat's revelations. Thanks for writing and sharing this.

Wolfric posted a comment on Thursday 5th September 2013 1:56am

So good to hear from you again. I enjoyed the story. Thanks for writing. W.

dogbertcarroll posted a comment on Thursday 5th September 2013 12:53am

Good little one shot.