Content Harry Potter Miscellaneous

Reviews

NarutosBrat posted a comment on Monday 11th June 2018 7:05am for The Wedding

I give Ron maybe three more chapters max before Hermione drops him like a bad habit.

reader1writer1 posted a comment on Sunday 5th June 2011 8:03pm for The Wedding

very intriguing cliffie there :)

tomandeva posted a comment on Thursday 8th October 2009 6:30am for The Wedding

I was just re-reading this chapter and realized that there is a minor plot disconnect: When Harry, Tracey, and Daphne go to the MoM, Daphne tells the clerk that her (Great-) Uncle Phil will perform the ceremony. But on the day of the wedding, it's Tracey's uncle who does the honors.

Was Uncle Phil indisposed?

Crys replied:

You are correct.   My bad.   The wedding scene has changed to Elder (Phil) Greengrass.   Thank you for catching that.

maddsloth posted a comment on Saturday 26th September 2009 1:51pm for The Wedding

______-----______-----
Harry's social position versus wealth: Potters were a long line of purebloods, but that doesn't necessarily equate to wealth. Look at Weasleys and Gaunts. He has a high social position because of what happened as an infant. Not like there was a chance to gather wealth in the meantime.
I'm sorry if he can be high profile yet not insanely wealthy. Yeah, that's the way the fics usually go (300 trillion galleons, 97 percent of the wizarding economy and 3 / 4 of Hogwarts, as you pointed out). I'm just trying to turn that cliché on its ear.
______-----______-----
The Gaunt it was suggested that their where once very wealthy, but as they took on the campaign of insane inbreeding not just pureblood but pure Slytherin blood (I think that was canon) as their mind went their fortune with it. As for the Weasleys they seemed to kind of be the black sheep of the wizarding world, they where mocked for being poor, seeming to imply it was not a normal thing for purebloods. Or all the poor purebloods would have been mocked (the Potters amongst them) Also the dozen children they have can’t help much. Furthermore the Weasley family is not the benchmark of pureblood standard (like your Potters are)
JKR hardly touched on the economy of her world (I think we know the price of a chocolate frog). Which is why we are clueless on this, of course the other cliché thing is the will of the Potters, either the potters where almost criminally negligent with the custody issues of their child or something else.
Dumbledore: He's confusing. Is he a manipulative, evil man? Is he senile?
(yes, most likely, and probably) a much stronger case could be made for there being something very fishy going on with him and his actions then there can be for him being the kind old man. The only positive thing he ever did for their world was to defeat Grindewald.
But let’s examine what we do know about our ‘leader of the light’ Chief Warlock:
1) Never did anything to attempt to help the ‘dark creatures’ He was the "speaker of the House" "lord speaker" "President of the Senate"
2) Sat back and let Sirius go to Azkaban without a trial or a unfair ‘show trial’ we do not know which. He was not just the head of the Vigilant group Sirius worked for he was the Chief Warlock!!
3) Sat back and let the Death Eaters bribe and threaten their way out of Azkaban, what? if you claim you where under the Imperius that should not be verified with veritaserum? That is admitting you committed crimes but claim you where made to do it.
4) Knowingly placed Harry in an abusive home, may or may not have ever checked on him but with miss Fig there I would argue he know what was going on. And sent him back each year after school.
5) Did not stop Hagrid from being sent to Azkaban without proof or a trial (for the second time) in (CoS) where was the DMLE? Why did the Chief Warlock, not point out that might not be lawful?
6) Did not step in to stop Sirius’s kiss when he found out he may be innocent after all (PoA)
7) (GoF) nuff said about that really. Though could have ordered Harry to go before the Wizengamot and testify about the death of Cedric and be questioned under veritaserum and show memories.
8 ) Let Fudge take over the Wizengamot making himself a true dictator then let Umbridge do whatever she wanted in his school, and even after being reinstated as Chief Warlock he did nothing about Umbridge’s crimes.
9) 6th year, knew Draco was a death eater, and did nothing when his attempts to kill him nearly murdered several kids under his charge.
10) Maneuvered a child in to a position that he was willing to let himself be murdered never bothering to train him properly, put him in life threatening situations each year.
11) Let a man improperly teach a core class in his school, a class that was needed to become an Auror, thus crippling the law enforcement branch of his government.

The idea of Dumbledore being ‘good’ is almost laughable, the only explanation is if he is insane.

maddsloth posted a comment on Monday 21st September 2009 6:33pm for The Wedding

Malfoy, unsurprisingly, simply bribed, blackmailed, or intimidated the court into releasing him once again.
- And your Harry is still training to fight to up hold this Government? Has the Ministry ever done anything right by him? I would not be doing this if not for some serious cash, after all it is all Malfoys anyway. Then I would move from this corrupt little island or crush the gov. and replace it with something better.

----- ---- ---- AN - for chapter 4, could not wait till end of next chapter … lol

Several reviewers of the last chapter commented on such a "small" amount of money in Harry's vault and started wondering about who was stealing from him.
Sorry, no conspiracy to steal from the poor, ignorant orphan boy. The Potters were never of the "filthy rich" social class
------ ----- -----

1) "My family has been pure-blooded for longer than the Malfoys but not as long as the Potters were before you, Harry."
2) "As heir of a prestigious name like yours
3) Socially and politically, that will hurt you."
4) The fact is that you're a Potter. You're expected to live according to our traditions and customs."

Twelve thousand galleons — I have no problem with Harry not having 300 trillion galleons, owning 97 percent of the wizarding world and 3/4th of Hogwarts but, all the above statements are inconsistent with being a middle class family. The Malfoys could bury Diagon Ally in their money but the much older Potters would have a hard time equipping a quidditch team with a set of Firebolts. And it seems this is the combined assets of both the Potters and Blacks? Since they talk about #12.

And in 15 years the taxes on the black home will cost him more than both families have?

The Weasley family blew the equivalent almost 10% of the Potter/Black family fortunes taking a portkey to Egypt.

Crys replied:

Logically, Harry shouldn't try to uphold this government.   Logic, however, doesn't always rule our actions.   Patriotism, inertia, his "saving-people-thing", take your pick.   More to the point, though, it'd be a much shorter and unsatisfying fic if he just said "hell with this" and ran away to Iceland.

Harry's social position versus wealth: Potters were a long line of purebloods, but that doesn't necessarily equate to wealth.   Look at Weasleys and Gaunts.   He has a high social position because of what happened as an infant.   Not like there was a chance to gather wealth in the meantime.

I'm sorry if he can be high profile yet not insanely wealthy.   Yeah, that's the way the fics usually go (300 trillion galleons, 97 percent of the wizarding economy and 3 / 4 of Hogwarts, as you pointed out).   I'm just trying to turn that cliche on its ear.

TxA_GunFighter posted a comment on Sunday 6th September 2009 8:41am for The Wedding

Very good chapter.

gunny

huskerfan posted a comment on Wednesday 12th August 2009 3:19pm for The Wedding

reat chapter, what a cliff!!! Can't wait to read more.

khaos posted a comment on Tuesday 11th August 2009 12:04am for The Wedding

I like this story but a couple of points elude me.
Errr, first, since none of the contracts are magically binding but only legally binding, nothing prevents Daphne and Tracy to act as they want in private except their willingness to obey to the laws. I understand that in public they want to preserve HP's standing in gratitude but privately the only thing that stands between their attitude and acting freely is a legal obligation that noone will care about since it is private. Hence, they don't have to obey hP in private since they know he won't do anything to punish them for acting like free humans.
Second, nothing prevents HP to disregard traditions concerning the tratment of his wives/chattel: it will worsen his standing with traditionnal factions, which he doesn't care about (considering they already want him dead with the voldemort situation), and light sided factions won't care since they find the whole concept disgusting.
Third, what is legal and what is traditional? laws have to be obeyed in public space and even so as long as noone sues you or arrest you, you can disregard them (for eg the soft drugs situation). Traditions on the other hand can be disregarded both in public and in private.
That's it, think about those few points. I hope something will be done about those laws soon.

Crys replied:

First point: You're correct, they can act as they want in private.   They (at least at this point), are acting very subservient.   Couple reasons, first they don't know Harry well enough to know if that is what he really, REALLY wants, second they are trying to "train" him to act properly.   Once he thinks the right way in private, he'll act that way in public without having to stop and think about it.   The awkwardness will tone down as everyone finds the boundries.

Second point: Again, you're correct.   It's Tracey, Daphne, and Nev trying to tell Harry how to act "traditionally".   Harry, rightly, considers the traditions abhorrent.   They're attempting to minimize damage to his reputation, not realizing that he doesn't care about it.

Third: Legally, they must obey, he's master and so responsible for their actions.   Traditionally, chattel are little better than  sex toys with the rights of house elves.   In private, the traditions will shortly be thrown out the window.

I think I answered your questions.   Thanks for the review.

Jamey posted a comment on Sunday 9th August 2009 11:55am for The Wedding

I'm guessing someone (ne' Hermione) forgot to mention the term "consummate" to Harry.

Though, yes - there could well be something lined up to initiate conflict.

Hum... They're *chattel* - property. Would the consummation requirement of normal marriages apply? Then again, in these days of arguments over gay marriage (pro, myself) and "it all depends on what the meaning of 'is' is"... What actually constitutes consummation? Still, one guy, two girls, the traditionally expected, but unstated (other than cultures in which the results of the breaking of the maidenhead is displayed as proof of consumation) [Hum... Lemme think on that point...] would apply - except that they are *PROPERTY*. In one sense, sex with them is masturbation with a sex toy - not making love.

Soooo.......... 'Twill be interesting to see how you end up resolving this!

Crys replied:

Had a conversation with my beta over this point.   As they're property, is it still a legal requirement to consummate the marriage?   Well, is there any legal requirement to "seal the deal" when you buy/inherit a footstool?  

Glad I made you think.   You're going in the right direction with it.

On top of that, we have the emotional impact for all three as well as pure wants and desires.

Thanks for the thoughtful review

Hannah3 posted a comment on Saturday 8th August 2009 6:44pm for The Wedding

Well, damn. I hate cliffhangers.

Rage and Light posted a comment on Friday 7th August 2009 2:50am for The Wedding

Hey

Just read the other two chapters and the third one again and I have to say I am loving this story as it is differnet to most of the harry potter stories I have read, there is also good background to keep the story going please keep it up

david

Tabraiz Rasul posted a comment on Thursday 6th August 2009 4:04am for The Wedding

awesome story. although i have too point out that the sunservient business is getting a bit too ,uch. i mean is not like they actually lost their wills through magic. its just a tradition so why don't they atlest try to not act like slaves when they are together.
harry asked if he can get ready for bed and tracy says that they don't have a vote. nobody i spresent whats the big deal. i understand the public consequences but as long as they are out of public......they should stop this behavior.

Crys replied:

They're trying to beat it into his head that he doesn't ask them permission for anything.   If he doesn't think that way in private, he won't act  that way in public.   The situation will calm down once they all learn the new status quo.

Rage and Light posted a comment on Thursday 6th August 2009 1:53am for The Wedding

ah I didn't see there was two other chapters before this one, sorry I shall read them and get back to you this story is really good.

david

Rage and Light posted a comment on Thursday 6th August 2009 1:50am for The Wedding

That was cool, is this a one off or is there going to be more?

david

goddessa39 posted a comment on Wednesday 5th August 2009 9:54pm for The Wedding

Am loving this so far. Lately there has been little readable out there.

...i keep getting the alerts DAYs after u update; sup with that?

Crys replied:

Yeah, the e-mail server is continually flooded with spam, so it's running days behind in some cases, mine included.   Sorry, nothing I can do about it.

Thanks for the review.

Harriverse posted a comment on Wednesday 5th August 2009 10:18am for The Wedding

You stopped at the good part. You've put a lot of thought into the background of chattel and it shows how seamlessly it fits. Finally someone put Ron in his place. I'm with Harry over his holdings...that seems like too little, especially since he appears to have close to nothing from the Potters, unless they are not an ancient and noble house in this universe--and the Blacks are kinda shabby too. Nice to have Neville being such stalwart companion. Great update.

Crys replied:

Sorry, not going to exceed the Teens+ rating.

Unfortunately, Harry was under the impression that his name equated to "old money".   He was wrong in that assumption.   The Blacks were old money, but their habit of backing dark lords has reduced them to broke.   Only 12GP to their name at this point.

Thanks for the review.

djo posted a comment on Tuesday 4th August 2009 7:30pm for The Wedding

Great story - I am looking forward to the wedding night...

Crys replied:

Sorry, not going to exceed the Teens+ rating.

Concealed Convict posted a comment on Tuesday 4th August 2009 12:37pm for The Wedding

I want to read what the scene that greeted him was, and I expect detail. I'd also find it hilarious if the room had come under attack while he was in the bathroom.

Thanks for writing
Keep up the good work and update soon
C-C

GinnyLover posted a comment on Tuesday 4th August 2009 9:52am for The Wedding

So EVIL!!!!!!!!

Hypochondriac posted a comment on Tuesday 4th August 2009 8:28am for The Wedding

Nice story, Glad you continued it from Odd Ideas, DId you have to end it at a cliff hanger though :(

Wonder if you will have Ron continue to act like an asshole? If he does I hope you have Hermoine dump him, and Harry tell him to get his act together or they will no longer be friends.